Saturday, January 12, 2008

raise a glass and tell some lies

So, I didn't write about New Years. I didn't write about much of anything. That makes for a boring blog. My bad.

Just an observation, the view from my dentist office is like something out of a movie. It's on the fourth floor of a building in Beverly Hills, and it was so beautiful that I didn't even mind being in the damn chair. I have never felt so lucky to be in Los Angeles.
It was good being in Nashville for a little while though, because I got to see some of my really good friends and catching up with them was good. In particular, I got to see a girl named Breanna who is one of the most insightful, sweet, funny people I know. She and I sat in a coffee shop just talking for around four hours straight. It was a really lovely night and I want the best for her, forever. I don't have too many people that I can honestly say I couldn't do without, but I feel so lucky to know her.
Other than her, I also saw a few other people whom I was really glad to see. Interesting relationship dynamics, fun times, rock shows, America's Next top Model, vegan salads, knives and six shots of expresso. It was a relaxing break, but I'm so glad to be home. I can't wait to be busy again. That's how I'll know if I've finally managed to conquer my tendency to stress. God I hope so. It's not healthy.
I want to see my LA friends again soon. I'm going to miss not having class with most of them. Boo. :(
Also, I want to see Eric Nieters. What the fuck, Eric, we're in the same city as each other almost 24/7 and I never see you?
Tiffany is supposed to be coming out here sometime soon. It'll be really good to see her and I think she could use a heavy dose of California. Kate might be transferring here, and I think California could use a good dose of her.
I didn't get to see Mackie over break. I know she's doing okay, but it tears me up a little bit, because I haven't been there to make sure that she's doing okay and she's like my sister. She's a big girl though. She can take care of herself. I wish her and Chaz the best of everything.
Lauren just asked when she can come visit. She can come any time and I really hope she does. Lauren's an awesome girl, and I think the atmosphere here would go a long way toward alleviating her stress. She's worse than me, and so hard on herself. it makes me sad, because she's all the way across the country at Boston College and I don't trust those Jesuits to take good care of her. Catholic guilt is something with which I'm more than familiar.

So, yeah. Those are people from back home. Except, Nashville isn't really home. Never really was. People are home, really. I have a city now to call home, but I don't quite have people in it to call home yet, That'll come, in time I suppose. It already is.
My other home though, it's people, and I'm only just realizing how lucky I am that I have something to miss.

Enough naval-gazing. I have three and a half years left to do that. (Think I'll be doing part of it in South Africa. Thoughts?)
This whole post has been about how lucky I am. I want to remember that. We're all lucky in a way I guess but sometimes it's really hard to see.

No comments: