Tuesday, December 23, 2008

it's only you I'm thinking of

Here's an interesting one.
New Years Resolutions I've kept (not in chronological order, that's just weird):
- Vegetarianism
- Lose 10 pounds (lost 35 at one point. Oops?)
- Stop one bad habit. Start another. I really can't say what those are. I think it's easy enough to guess.

I don't make them very frequently, because I do keep them, and when you consider my history of not sticking with things, you'll understand. There's been a lot of years where I haven't made them. I can only remember 4 off the top of my head.
This year will be interesting, because I have a big one: no more trainwrecks. I'm not sure that's ever been accomplished. I may need your help. It's starting to make me a little nervous. I had a good time being a hot mess this semester. A girl can't go through life like that, though. Not and still make something out of herself. It's a myspace world.

I think now is as good a time as ever to point out how much I hate the holidays, any holiday with a Judeo-Christian origin at least. They've all become so commercialized that we're basically celebrating food, love, and presents. I'm totally okay with that. I like food and love and presents, but I like them everyday. I like buying people presents for the hell of it, just randomly. I like spreading joy and love every day. We'd be able to eradicate a lot more poverty and solve a lot more problems if people gave of themselves to charity as much as they do one or two days a year. We could really help people. I'm an atheist because I don't need a god to make me nice. I like Valentine's Day because it's a holiday that centers around good feeling, love, bright colors, flowers. People ignore it, mock it, avoid it like the plague, and it still goes on. I like spreading love.
Christmas is unavoidable, and if you hate it you may as well be the devil. I hate it. I'll do the things I do on Christmas every day if it will make the world a better place. I just can't get over sometimes how much the world is ignoring. Maybe being in a recession will do this country some good.
http://www.46664.com http://www.halfofus.com http://www.one.org http://www.enoughproject.org

I care about those things. Maybe some other people will too.
Let's talk about birthdays. I hate my own. I really try to avoid it, and I do a pretty good job. I can count on one hand the number of times I've celebrated it and been happy.
- 17: Picnic in the park with Andrea, Lauren, Elliott, Jenni, Tiffany and Becky. That was a good day.
- 18: Scary movie and Starbucks with Mackie. We talked about college, weddings, and other people. I miss that night, just sitting on some steps and talking. I miss nights like that.
- 19: Dinner with friends at some random diner. Seeing how many people we could cram into Megan's car. Good times. I don't think I have the energy to ever try to plan something like that again. Celebrations are exhausting. It was fun to have a girls night, though.

I love giving people shit for their birthdays. I either buy stuff, or I bake. If you at any point insinuate to me that you want something, it's yours. But like I said, I don't see why I can't do that every day, not just your birthday.

Here's to hoping these random bursts of altruism offset some of my worse qualities. After all, it's Christmas, motherfuckers.
(On a final note, I'd like to mention that Hanukkah and Kwanzaa are serious so much cooler than xxxmas. I'd love to get to celebrate either one of them. Stupid family.)

No comments: